A good #pitabread is as #satisfying as it is simple ! Follow our simple five ingredient recipe for your tryst with these wonderful #wholewheat fresh #breads today !
– Organic whole wheat flour – 250 grams
– Luke warm water – 250 grams
– Organic rock salt – 1 teaspoon
– Fresh yeast – 20 grams or active dried yeast – 12 grams
-Organic cane sugar or date paste – 1 teaspoon
1. Bloom the yeast. In your mixing bowl add 50 grams of lukewarm water (110f) and stir in the date paste or sugar. Add yeast and mix till the mixture becomes pasty. Cover and leave the yeast to froth and bubble for about 10 minutes. This let’s you know if the yeast you are working with is alive or not so don’t skip this step.
2. Then add in the flour and salt . Salt should not come in direct contact with the yeast so mix in in the flour before adding to the yeast.
3. Add in water. You may need less or more water depending on your climatic conditions such as humidity and the nature of flour.
4. Form a loose dough. This should be a soft dough and should hold it’s shape when formed into a ball.
5. Let this dough rest in a greased bowl, covered with a wet kitchen towel, in a warm place for an hour until double in size.
6. Punch the dough and deflate it. Divide in 8 equal pieces. Form tight balls.
7. Pre heat oven to 230C and place a tray in the middle rack to heat it.
8. Roll out 1/4 inch thick round discs from each dough ball and leave it to rest on a well floured surface allowing it to rise for some time.
9. Bake each pita on the preheated tray (3-4 at a time depending on your over size ) for 5-7 minutes till they are completely puffed up.
Enjoy your fresh baked pita breads !